DCRA's Corporations Division serves as the Office of Corporate Registrar for the District of Columbia. The Corporations Division registers all entities, domestic (DC) or foreign (non-District) that conduct business in the District of Columbia.
This is the first step in business regulatory compliance. This registration is separate and must be done before entity applies for a business license, permit, tax registration or any other registration within the District.
If you would like to operate in the District of Columbia as a nonprofit and for-profit corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, general cooperative association, limited cooperative association and statutory trust you must register with Corporations Division of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs.
The following is the list of entities by type that are subject to mandatory registration:
- Limited Liability Companies including Professional Limited Liability Campanies
- Business Corporations including Professional Corporations and Benefits Corporations
- Nonprofit Corporations
- Limited Partnerships including Limited Liability Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Partnerships
- General Cooperative Associations
- Limited Cooperative Associations
- Statutory Trusts
The following online services are available for Corporate Filings:
- Online formation of all domestic filing entities (LLCs, for-profit and nonprofit corporations, limited and limited liability partnerships, general and limited cooperative associations and business trusts)
- Online registration of all foreign filing entities
- Online filing of required biennial reports for all domestic and foreign filing entities
- Online domestic name reservations and foreign name registrations
- Online trade name registrations for all filing entities and sole proprietors (general partnerships and other non filing entitieOnline good standing certificate requests for all foreign and domestic filing entities
- Online request for certified copy of corporate filing for all filing entities
- Online search by name or file number or registered agent's name of all registered entities with expanded entity information to include report and trade name history
- Online filing for withdrawal for all foreign filing entities
- Online dissolution for domestic nonprofit corporations, for-profit corporations and limited liability companies
- Online statements of change for registered agents for nonprofit and for-profit filing entities
- Online amended registration statements for all foreign filing entities
- Online articles of amendment for domestic limited liability companies
- Online articles of amendment for domestic nonprofit corporations
- Online articles of amendments for domestic for-profit corporations
- Online reinstatements and back report filings form bra-25 for all domestic for-profit and nonprofit entities
- Online reinstatements and back report filings form bra-25 for all foreign for-profit and nonprofit entities
Go to CorpOnline, create a profile, access the online services main page (use Internet Explorer 8, Chrome, Firefox or Safari) and proceed. Online filers must pay by credit card. Once filing is submitted, print the last confirmation page for your records.
The Corporations Division Program Manager serves as a Superintendent of Corporations and in that capacity acts as the Mayor’s Agent for Service of Process for businesses that are defunct, or fail to maintain an agent in the District or are operating in the District.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers for the Most Frequently Asked Questions are available here.
How much will the filing costs? View fees for all services.
Where do we mail our filings? View payment and mailing address information.
Service of Process
The Corporations Division Program Manager serves as a Superintendent of Corporations and in that capacity acts as the Mayor’s Agent for Service of Process for businesses that are defunct, or fail to maintain an agent in the District or are operating in the District. Find out more information about the Service of Process.