Register a Domestic Entity
Register a Domestic Entity
DCRA’s Superintendent of Corporations heads Corporations Division that acts as of the Office of Corporate Registrar for the District of Columbia. To form a domestic filing entity appropriate form and fee must be paid and filed with DCRA’s Superintendent of Corporations. Corporations division forms all filing entities in the District of Columbia.
The definition of filing entity includes the following organizational types:
1-for-profit corporation including professional and benefit corporation;
3- limited liability company;
4-limited cooperative association;
5-general cooperative association;
6- limited partnership including limited liability limited partnership;
7- limited liability partnership;
8-business statutory trust.
If your entity has been registered as one of the organization types above outside of the District of Columbia, please refer to “Register a Foreign entity” link below for relevant information.
To get more information on the differences between entity types, please visit the “Choose a corporate structure” link.
To get more detailed information on any particular entity type, please visit the appropriate link below.
Go to CorpOnline, create a profile, access the online services main page (use Internet Explorer 8 or higher version or latest version of Chrome, Firefox or Safari) and proceed. Online filers must pay by credit card.
The following online services are available for Corporate Filings:
Online formation of all domestic filing entities (LLCs, for-profit and nonprofit corporations, limited and limited liability partnerships, general and limited cooperative associations and business trusts)
- Online registration of all foreign filing entities
- Online filing of required biennial reports for all domestic and foreign filing entities
- Online domestic name reservations and foreign name registrations
- Online trade name registrations for all filing entities and sole proprietors (general partnerships and other non filing entities).
- Online good standing certificate requests for all foreign and domestic filing entities
- Online request for certified copy of corporate filing for all filing entities
- Online search by name or file number or registered agent's name of all registered entities with expanded entity information to include report and trade name history
- Online filing for withdrawal for all foreign filing entities
- Online dissolution for domestic nonprofit corporations, for-profit corporations and limited liability companies
- Online statements of change for registered agents for nonprofit and for-profit filing entities
- Online amended registration statements for all foreign filing entities
- Online articles of amendment for domestic limited liability companies
- Online articles of amendment for domestic nonprofit corporations
- Online articles of amendments for domestic for-profit corporations
- Online reinstatements and back report filings form bra-25 for all domestic for-profit and nonprofit entities
- Online reinstatements and back report filings form bra-25 for all foreign for-profit and nonprofit entities
Every domestic and foreign corporation, Limited Liability Company, Limited Liability Partnership, Limited Partnership, General and Limited Cooperative Association, Business Trust is required to file two-year reports with Corporations Division to maintain good standing within the District of Columbia.
- First reports are due April 1 of the very next year from the year of registration.
- Foreign entities might be liable for back reports if commenced business prior to registration.
Subsequent reports are due April 1 every two years thereafter.