During COVID-19, licensed appraisers in Washington, DC can still practice under professional services supporting banks and lending institutions, which are considered essential as to real estate and closings. Appraisers are strongly encouraged to operate remotely and to take precautionary measures when visiting homes, buildings, and sites to include required social distancing and using good hygiene practices.
Practitioners are encouraged to operate minimally (i.e. utilize the fewest number of people possible at a closing, practicing physical distancing, etc.).
The District of Columbia Board of Real Estate Appraisers regulates the practice of real estate appraisal, including the functions of a state appraiser certifying and licensing agency under Title XI of the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act of 1989, approved August 9, 1989. Additionally, the Board protects consumers by enforcing the District of Columbia real estate license law.
The Board consists of five members appointed by the Mayor. Three members are real estate appraisers licensed in the District, one is a real estate broker licensed in the District, and one is a consumer member. Three members of the Board constitute a quorum.
The Board meets on the third Wednesday each month at 10:00 a.m. at the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs located at 1100 4th Street, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024.
Board meeting minutes are available at https://www.open-dc.gov/public-bodies/meetings.
- Real Estate Appraiser Consumer Information
- Licensing, registration and information for Appraisal Management Companies - Please contact the District of Columbia Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking (Banking Bureau) at www.disb.dc.gov or 202-727-8000 for all information and inquiries regarding Appraisal Management Companies, including applying, licensing/registration, rosters, AMC Registry, and any other information regarding Appraisal Management Companies,
No information at this time.
2020 Meeting Dates
- January 15
- February 19
- March 18
- April 15
- May 20
- June 17
- Join By Phone
1 (408) 418-9388
Access code: 126 516 7853
Time: 10 am – noon
Password: Appraisers (27772473 from phones and video systems)
- Join By Phone
- July 15
- August 19
- September 16
- October 21
- November 18
- December 16
License Look Up
Need to find the status of a licensee? Click here.
Schedule an Examination
Exams may be scheduled online by clicking here or by phone:
- Dial (800) 733-9267
- Select Option 1 for government and state exams
- Select Option 2 for District of Columbia exams
- Click here for PSI Exams Online
Board Members & Board Staff
- Tamora Papas – Chair, Appraiser
- Todd Canterbury – Appraiser Member
- Margot Wilson – Real Estate Broker Member
- Andrew Sullivan – Appraiser Member
- Kiara Pesante Haughton - Consumer Member
- Leon Lewis – Executive Director
- Stacey Williams – Board Administrator
- Stephanie Johnston – Board Assistant
- Kevin Cyrus – Education Coordinator
- Kathy Thomas – Education Liaison Specialist
To apply for a vacancy, please visit the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments for more information and an application.
Information coming soon.