The District of Columbia Board of Real Estate Appraisers regulates the practice of real estate appraisal, including the functions of a state appraiser certifying and licensing agency under Title XI of the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act of 1989, approved August 9, 1989. Additionally, the Board protects consumers by enforcing the District of Columbia real estate license law.
The Board consists of five members appointed by the Mayor. Three members are real estate appraisers licensed in the District, one is a real estate broker licensed in the District, and one is a consumer member. Three members of the Board constitute a quorum.
The Board meets on the third Wednesday each month at 10:00 a.m. at the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs located at 1100 4th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20024.
Board meeting minutes are available here.
Apply for license
To apply for a license or access the online portal, please click here.
Please contact a customer service representative at 1 (866) 270-9817 if you have any questions or you do not know the email address linked with your license.
Schedule an examination: Exams may be scheduled online by clicking here or by phone:
- Dial 1 (800) 733-9267
- Select Option 1 for government and state exams
- Select Option 2 for District of Columbia exams
Real Estate Appraisers
Residential Appraiser – $195.00 (up to 2 years)*
Certified General Appraiser – $195.00 (up to 2 years)*
- Residential Appraiser – $195.00 (up to 2 years)*
- Certified General Appraiser – $195.00 (up to 2 years)*
- Temporary License for Practice in D.C. – $150.00
- Duplicate License – $30.00
- Verification of Records – $30.00
- Real Estate Appraiser Federal Registration – $50.00 (up to 2 years)**
* In addition, a fee of $130.00 (payable by cashier’s check, certified check, or money order) shall be submitted for the Appraisal Education Fund, unless such payments are suspended.
** Federal regulations require that local regulatory agencies collect a fee for Federal registration. This fee is in addition to all other fees and is the current Federal fee.
Virtual Meeting Link (Coming Soon)
- January 28, 2021
- February 17, 2021
- March 17, 2021
- April 21, 2021
- May 19, 2021
- June 16, 2021
- July 21, 2021
- August – Recess
- September 15, 2021
- October 20, 2021
- November 17, 2021
- December 15, 2021
- Tamora Papas – Chair, Appraiser
- Todd Canterbury – Appraiser Member
- Margot Wilson – Real Estate Broker Member
- Andrew Sullivan – Appraiser Member
- Kiara Pesante Haughton – Consumer Member
To apply for a vacancy, please visit the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments for more information and an application.
Leon Lewis – Executive Director
Stacey Williams – Board Administrator
Kevin Cyrus – Education Coordinator
Kathy Thomas – Education Liason Specialist
Address: 1100 4th Street, SW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20024
Publication and Resources
- Appraisal Subcommittee
- Association of Appraiser Regulatory Officials
- Federal Housing Administration
- The Appraisal Foundation
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- CE Course and Instructor Application
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 2018 Annual Report
- 2017 Annual Report
- 2016 Annual Report