The District of Columbia Board of Industrial Trades was established to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of the District by ensuring that individuals engaged in these trades have the specialized skills and training required to perform such services for the public.
The Board license law, which governs asbestos workers, plumbers, electricians, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics, steam and operating engineers, and those in the elevator trades (with the exception of District of Columbia and Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority employees). The Board may establish bonding and insurance requirements, subcategories of licensure, education, and experience requirements for licensure, and other requirements.
The Board is comprised of 15 tradespersons, who are appointed by the Mayor and licensed in the District: three plumbers; two electricians; two refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics; two steam engineers; two asbestos workers; one elevator mechanic; one elevator inspector; one elevator contractor; and one consumer member. Eight members of the Board constitute a quorum.
The Board meets on the third Tuesday each month at 1:00 p.m. at the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs located at 1100 4th Street, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024.
Board meeting minutes are available at www.open-dc.gov.
Please contact the Board to confirm meeting dates/times/locations.
- January 21
- February 18
- March 17
- April 21
- May 19
- June 16
- July 21
- August (recess)
- September 15
- October 20
- November 17
- December 15
To apply for a license or access the online portal, please select from one of the following license types:
- Asbestos Workers
- Elevator Tradespersons
- Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Mechanics
- Steam & Operating Engineers
Please contact a customer service representative at 1-866-270-9817 if you have any questions or you do not know the email address linked with your license.
Click here for a list of fees.
Schedule an Examination
Exams may be scheduled online by clicking here or by phone:
- Dial (800) 733-9267
- Select Option 1 for government and state exams
- Select Option 2 for District of Columbia exams
Board Members & Board Staff
- Brian Cooper, Chair – Elevator Contractor
- Richard Jackson, Vice Chair – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Khidhar Abdulshakur – Asbestos Worker
- Michael Dalton – Consumer Member
- Petrick Washington – Elevator Mechanic
- Constantin Rodousakis – Master Electrician
- Tanya Lewis - Master Electrician
- Terrence Hughes – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Michael Johnson – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Garth Grannum – Master Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Alvin Venson, Sr. – Master Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Alex Lemu – Class 1, Steam Engineer
- Courtney Braxton – Asbestos Worker Supervisor
- Shawn Ellis – Class 1, Steam Engineer
- Vacant – Elevator Inspector
- Vacant – Master Electrician
- Jennifer C. Champagne – Board Administrator
- Kevin Cyrus – Education Coordinator
- Nicole McClendon - Program Coordinator
- Chanda Kearney - Program Support Specialist
To apply for a vacancy, please visit the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments for more information and an application.
Documents & Forms
- Asbestos FAQs
- General FAQs
- Letter of Certification Request
- Application Instructions-Asbestos
- Application Instructions-Electrical
- Application Instructions-Elevator Maintenance
- Application Instructions-Contractor
- Application Instructions-Plumbing/Gasfitting2
- Application Instructions-Operating Engineers Class-7s
- Application Instructions-Refrigeration/Air Conditioning
- Application Instructions-Steam Engineers
- Complaint Form
- Refund Request Application
- 2016 Annual Report
- 2017 Annual Report
- 2018 Annual Report