Sec. 310. Extension of licenses and registrations; waiver of deadlines.
Notwithstanding any provision of law during, or within 45 days after the end of, a period time for which the Mayor has declared a public health emergency pursuant to section 5a of the District of Columbia Public Emergency Act of 1980, effective October 17, 2002 (D.C. Law 14-194; D.C. Official Code § 7-2304.01), the Mayor, may:
- Prospectively or retroactively extend the validity of a license, registration, permit, or authorization, including drivers licenses, vehicle registrations, professional licenses, registrations, and certifications;
- Waive the deadlines for filings, and waive fees, fines, and penalties associated with the failure to timely renew a license, registration, permit, or other authorization or to timely submit a filing; or
- Extend or waive the deadline by which action is required to be taken by the executive branch of the District government or by which an approval or disapproval is deemed to have occurred based on inaction by the executive branch of the District government.
Important Message in Reference to COVID-19
In accordance with Title III, Section 312 of the “COVID-19 Response Emergency Amendment Act of 2020, “the Act”, professional or occupational licenses that expire during the declared public health emergency are considered valid.
As noted on the coronavirus.dc.gov page under the section listed Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, once the public health emergency is over, licensees will have 45 days to renew a license and renewal notices will be sent at that time.
For the latest information on the District Government’s response to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), please visit coronavirus.dc.gov.
The District of Columbia Board of Industrial Trades was established to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of the District by ensuring that individuals engaged in these trades have the specialized skills and training required to perform such services for the public.
The Board license law, which governs asbestos workers, plumbers, electricians, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics, steam and operating engineers, and those in the elevator trades (with the exception of District of Columbia and Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority employees). The Board may establish bonding and insurance requirements, subcategories of licensure, education, and experience requirements for licensure, and other requirements.
The Board is comprised of 15 tradespersons, who are appointed by the Mayor and licensed in the District: three plumbers; two electricians; two refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics; two steam engineers; two asbestos workers; one elevator mechanic; one elevator inspector; one elevator contractor; and one consumer member. Eight members of the Board constitute a quorum.
The Board meets on the third Tuesday each month at 1:00 p.m. at the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs located at 1100 4th Street, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024.
Board meeting minutes are available at www.open-dc.gov.
Apply for license
To apply for a license or access the online portal, please select from one of the following license types:
- Asbestos Workers
- Elevator Tradespersons
- Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Mechanics
- Steam & Operating Engineers
Please contact a customer service representative at 1 (866) 270-9817 if you have any questions or you do not know the email address linked with your license.
Schedule an examination:
Exams may be scheduled online by clicking here or by phone:
- Dial 1(800) 733-9267
- Select Option 1 for government and state exams
- Select Option 2 for District of Columbia exams
Letter of Certification/License Verification
Request a Letter of License Certification
Continued Education - Information Coming Soon
Expiration Date: 31-July
Expiration Date: 30-Nov
Expiration Date: 30-Nov
Expiration Date: 31-March
Refrigeration & Air Conditioning
Expiration Date: 30-Sep
Steam & Other Operating Engineers
Expiration Date: 30-Sep
Please contact the Board to confirm meeting dates/times/locations.
- January 19, 2021
- February 16, 2021
- March 16, 2021
- April 20, 2021
- May 18, 2021
- June 15, 2021
- July 20, 2021
- August - Recess
- September 21, 2021
- October 19, 2021
- November 16, 2021
- December 21, 2021
- Brian Cooper, Chair – Elevator Contractor
- Richard Jackson, Vice Chair – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Khidhar Abdulshakur – Asbestos Worker
- Michael Dalton – Consumer Member
- Petrick Washington – Elevator Mechanic
- Constantin Rodousakis – Master Electrician
- Terrence Hughes – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Michael Johnson – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Garth Grannum – Master Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Alvin Venson, Sr. – Master Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Alex Lemu – Class 1, Steam Engineer
- Courtney Braxton – Asbestos Worker Supervisor
- Shawn Ellis – Class 1, Steam Engineer
- Tanya Lewis – Master Electrician
- Vacant – Elevator Inspector
Nicole McClendon – Program Coordinator
Jennifer Champagne – Board Administrator
Publication and Resources
- 2018 Annual Report
- 2017 Annual Report
- 2016 Annual Report