Sec. 310. Extension of licenses and registrations; waiver of deadlines.
Notwithstanding any provision of law during, or within 45 days after the end of, a period time for which the Mayor has declared a public health emergency pursuant to section 5a of the District of Columbia Public Emergency Act of 1980, effective October 17, 2002 (D.C. Law 14- 194; D.C. Official Code§ 7-2304.01), the Mayor, may:
- Prospectively or retroactively extend the validity of a license, registration, permit, or authorization, including drivers licenses, vehicle registrations, professional licenses, registrations, and certifications;
- Waive the deadlines for filings, and waive fees, fines, and penalties associated with the failure to timely renew a license, registration, permit, or other authorization or to timely submit a filing; or
- Extend or waive the deadline by which action is required to be taken by the executive branch of the District government or by which an approval or disapproval is deemed to have occurred based on inaction by the executive branch of the District government
*Licenses for Security professionals that expire during the declared emergency will be considered valid, and people will have until 90 days after the declared emergency is over to renew their licenses.
The District of Columbia manages the licensure of Security professionals within the District, and protects Security professionals and consumers by upholding the District of Columbia Security license law and the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations for Security Officers — Title 6A, Chapter 11 and Title 17 Chapters 20 and 21. Agency - § 29–103.01. Permitted names. (f) An entity name shall not be the same as, or so deceptively similar to, the name of any department, agency, or instrumentality of the United States or the District of Columbia so as to mislead the public or cause confusion.
Look up License
To apply for a license or access the online portal, please click here.
Existing or previous licensees should log in with their license number and password. If you have any questions or need assistance with accessing your existing license record, please contact a customer service representative at 1-866-270-9817.
Agencies located outside the DC Metropolitan Area it is recommended that your responsible person make a fingerprint appointment online and report in person; otherwise, please contact MPD Civilian Fingerprinting for guidance for submitting fingerprint cards and the approved method of payment. Telephone 202-727-4409 or Email: SOMB.firstname.lastname@example.org Fingerprint cards with mailed payments are suspended until further notice.
Civilian Fingerprinting – AFIS
300 Indiana Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Please click here to Schedule an appointment with DCRA Representative at SOMB to complete your security application requirements.
Eligibility Requirements - Criminal History
2105 ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS - CRIMINAL HISTORY SECURITY OFFICERS
2105.1 No person shall be certified or employed as a security officer, nor shall an existing security officer have his or her certification renewed, until the Mayor has conducted a criminal history check of the applicant through the record systems of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Metropolitan Police Department.
1102 CRIMINAL HISTORY - Special Police Officers
1102.1 No person shall be commissioned or employed as a special police officer, nor shall an existing special police officer have a commission renewed, until the Mayor has conducted a criminal history check of the applicant through the record systems of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Metropolitan Police Department
Training and Examination Requirements
Information on current training requirements for the private security industry can be found by clicking here.
Exams may be scheduled online by clicking here or by phone:
1. Dial (800) 733-9267
2. Select Option 1 for government and state exams
3. Select Option 2 for District of Columbia exams
Exam fee: $52.00
How Do I Apply?
How Do I … ?
Questions: Contact Customer Service at (866) 270-9817.
- Patrice Richardson – Program Manager
- Erin Posey – Administrator
- Nakia Booker – Program Support Specialist
- Ronald Holmes – Program Support Specialist
- Stephon Garrett - Program Support Specialist
Documents & Forms
- Frequently Asked Questions
- MPD Security Snapshot
- Security Officer Study Guide
- Arrest Affidavit
- Authorization to Release Form
- Fact Sheet for Attorney-in-Fact or General Agent_2018
- Armored Car Industry Reciprocity
- Letter of Certification Request
- File a Complaint
- Refund Request Application
- 2016 Annual Report
- 2017 Annual Report