Boilers and unfired pressure vessels in the District of Columbia must be inspected at least once a year. The annual inspections can be conducted by DCRA Inspectors or by Boiler Insurance Companies licensed by the District of Columbia. You can request an inspection by calling (202) 442-9557.
After the annual inspection report has been approved, an annual Certificate of Inspection is issued to the owner for posting. All new or used boilers and unfired pressure vessels installed, erected, re-erected, or reinstalled in the District of Columbia will not be approved until the proper permits and inspections have been obtained and approved.
All boilers and unfired pressure vessels installed in the District of Columbia are assigned identification numbers.
Anyone welding on a Boiler or unfired pressure vessel under construction, installation, repair or alteration must hold a valid DC Welding Certification card.
The safe operation of boiler plants and heavy construction equipment is ensured and enforced by DC Licensed Steam and Operating Engineers. DC Welder and Boiler Insurance Company Inspectors renew licenses every two (2) years.
The following fees apply to:
• Annual Certificate of Inspection fee (per boiler and air compressor): $50.00 each
• Welder License Fee for test and renewal: $100.00
• New and renewal Insurance Inspection Card fee: $200.00
The Code Standards that are used to enforce safety of compliance are as follows: American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Sections I to XI (2001 Edtion) consist of:
- Rules for Construction of Power Boilers
- Rules and Construction of Heating Boilers
- Materials: Specifications for Welding Rods, Electrodes, and Filler metals
- Nondestructive Examination
- Recommended Rules for the Care and Operation of Heating Boilers
- Recommended Guidelines for the Care of Power Boilers
- Rules for Construction of Pressure vessels
- Welding and Brazing Qualifications
- Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Pressure Vessels
- ASME CSD-1 (2002 Edition)
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 8501
- NFPA 8502
- NFPA 8504
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL) 726
- National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) 2001 Edition
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)/NB-23
Applicable DC Codes
- DCMR Title 17 Chapter 4 (Steam Engineers)
- DCMR Title 12 Chapter 10E (Boilers, Water Heaters and Pressure Vessels)