A permit extension can be requested for an unexpired permit – a permit that has not met its expiration date listed on the permit or a permit that has had on-going work within the last year and demonstrates that the permit is being pursued in good faith. If approved, an extension can be granted for a period of six months per extension, with a maximum of four total extensions not to exceed a two year period. Extension requests include all construction and trade permits (Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical and Boiler permits).
- Please be sure to include any documentation that supports work as on-going if the request is made beyond 6 months of the expiration date on the issued permit. Examples of accepted supporting documentation include field reports, dated invoices of completed work by your contractor, and inspection reports.
- If an inspection has occurred within the last year, a permit extension may not be needed. Once the inspection has occurred, regardless of whether the inspection was approved or failed, your permit expiration date is now a year from the date of the last inspection.
- Begin your permit application under the permit type of Building Permit Extension.
- Complete all required questions/fields (i.e. enter the original permit number).
- Upload all supporting documents before completing your submission.
- Applications are reviewed electronically by the next business day.