The Green Building Division is a part of the District of Columbia's Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA). The Division is responsible for regulating construction in the District that falls under the regulations of the Green Building Act, Green Construction Code, and Energy Conservation Code.
The Division is located in the DCRA Building Department and is responsible for plan reviews, building inspections, certificate of occupancy review, training and education as well as collaborating with sister agencies, the building industry and the community to further the efforts to build a more sustainable D.C.
To assist in the mission of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) to protect the health, safety, economic interests and quality of life of residents, businesses and visitors in the District of Columbia.
The District adopted the 2012 International Green Construction Code (IgCC) and the 2012 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) as amended by the 2013 DC Construction Codes Supplement (12 DCMR) in March 2014. With these actions, the District leads the nation as the first jurisdiction in the country to adopt both the 2012 IgCC and 2012 IECC as mandatory codes, applicable to both public and private sector buildings.
These codes reflect the most modern, sustainable, energy- and water-efficient building practices, and extend the green building practices legislated by the District of Columbia Green Building Act of 2006 (the Green Building Act, or GBA). The adoption of these codes will greatly expand the work already being done under the Green Building Act and the Sustainable DC Plan.
The Green Building Division is responsible for regulating construction in the District that falls under the regulations of sustainable codes including the Green Building Act, Green Construction Code, and Energy Conservation Code.
Meet the "Green Team". Contact us today! We are here to assist you and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
- Michael Brown Deputy Green Building Coordinator
- Ashley Delgado Energy Plan Reviewer
- Christina Mischel. Green Building Inspector
- David Kaiser Plan Reviewer
- Robert Campbell Energy Plan Reviewer
- Ali Alaswadi Green Building Inspector
- Kristian Hoffland Green Building Plan Reviewer
- Rafael Palomino-Ramirez Green Building Plan Reviewer
- Luladaye Valli Green Building Energy Code Inspector
- Asa Foss Supervisory Green Building Inspector
1100 4th Street SW, 2nd Floor, Washington, DC 20024
- Metro: Green Line to Waterfront Station
- Bike: Capital Bikeshare station on the block and bike racks out front
DCRA Building Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday:
8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Thursday: 9:30 AM – 4:00 PM