Accelerated Plan Review Program
Accelerated Plan Review Program is DCRA’s initiative to streamline the plan review and permitting process. For a fee, plan reviews and permit approval for construction projects can be accelerated. In many cases, if all code requirements are met, plans can be approved in one day by DCRA disciplines and participating sister agencies. While the speed of plan review is a major benefit, DCRA remains focused on compliance. Therefore, all plans submitted through the Accelerated review program must be prescreened and reviewed to meet all District Construction Code requirements.
Digital Walk-Through Plan Review
Projects that were previously deemed as Walk-Through that consist of scopes of work that meet a specific criteria will now be reviewed through our Digital Walk-Through platform for a one (1) business day review. This will eliminate in-person submission of your application and plans. (Appointments can be made to meet one-on-one with our plan review team as well as our Homeowner’s Center for consultation and guidance on the permit process).
The Digital Walk-Through includes but is not limited to the following permit application types:
- Soil Boring
- Projects that are less than 1,000 square feet
- Interior renovations
- Retaining Walls
- Underground Storage Tanks
View the Digital Walk-Through Process
ProjectDox Plan Review
ProjectDox is an online platform for electronic plan submission and plan review. This system allows the electronic submission of building plans and supporting documentation. ProjectDox eliminates the need for an applicant to submit multiple paper copies of project plans in conjunction with the DCRA permit application. ProjectDox (ProjectDox Accepted) applications are more complex scopes of work that require more than 1 or 2 business days for review. Once your application is ProjectDox Accepted, you will receive a separate email that includes a link for you to create a username and password to upload your plans and supporting documents to begin the review.
- Once plans are uploaded, they are pre-screened for the basic requirements and assigned to necessary plan review disciplines within DCRA and applicable sister agencies. Please refer to the Plan Review section to learn about different plan review assignments and when they are required.
Other agency reviews may be required depending on your scope of work:
- DC Water- New water connections
- District Department of Transportation- For impact of the public alleys, sidewalks or streets
- Historic Preservation Review Board and Commission of Fine Arts- Properties located within a historically designated area or deemed an area commissioned by the fine arts. You can view PIVS to confirm your properties status.
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)- WMATA must review and approve all construction projects adjacent to WMATA-owned properties in order to ensure that Metro facilities, operations and riders are not negatively impacted in the short or long term.
- District Department of Health- All new construction and/or major renovations to a food establishment or hygiene facility
- Department of Energy and the Environment- Projects involving soil disturbance, flood plains and lead abatement
Upon clicking on ‘Payment & Permit Issuance’ the customer would be directed to a landing page with the following:
Once your plans are approved by all assigned plan review disciplines and applicable review agencies.
- For Walk-Through applications, you will receive an invoice of the permitting fees by our Issuance Counter to pay at our Cashier’s Office or to make the payment online to have your permit issued.
- For ProjectDox application, you will receive an email notification that finals fees are ready have been assessed for payment, in which you can make the payment online or you can visit our Permit Center for an invoice to be paid at our Cashier’s Office.
- **All check payments should be payable to DC Treasurer.