DCRA is pleased to introduce the DCRA Permit Wizard, a new customer-friendly application that modernizes the way our customers start their residential building projects. It's intuitive, simple, and easy to use.
Using a wizard-based approach, customers are guided through a series of questions. In response, the Permit Wizard will:
- Identify the permits needed for the entire project – customers no longer have to know permit types in advance;
- Advise the customer of the estimated total cost of permits;
- Inform the customer of anticipated plan reviews by DCRA and sister agencies, required documentation, anticipated inspections; and
- Provide useful advisories and notifications about their property.
Overall, the Permit Wizard is faster, easier, more efficient, and available online at our customers’ convenience.
How to Apply for a Residential Permit:
- Select DCRA Permit Wizard on dcra.dc.gov and use your single sign-on, Access DC, account to log in efficiently and securely;
- Name the project, identify the professionals associated with the project, enter the project details; and
- Submit the application.
In short, navigating DCRA’s permitting process just got a whole lot easier.
Information To Have Accessible When Using the Permit Wizard
To assist you in submitting your project application more quickly, please have the following materials and information ready before you begin your project application:
- Your single sign-on, or Access DC, information
- The professional license numbers for any building professionals working on your project. This may include:
- Permit Expediters
- Architects, Interior Designers and Landscape Architects, and
- Professional Engineers
- Also, have business license numbers available for any general or home improvement contractors that you expect to complete work on the project.
- Electronic copies of any drawings or plans that you have for your project.
- Contracts with building or design professionals, and cost estimates associated with your project.
What Types of Projects May I Use the Permit Wizard For?
Use the Permit Wizard for all new residential building permit applications.
We are working hard to make the application even stronger. In the future, we will improve the robust functionality of the Permit Wizard, adding permit extensions, trade, demolition, raze, solar, and after-hours permits. For now, these will continue to be handled through the Citizen Access Portal along with commercial applications.
Apply for a Permit Using the Permit Wizard