(Washington, DC) - Effective October 1, 2009, all construction projects that include installation of fire hydrants on private property are required to obtain a building permit from the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) through the Permit Operations Division (POD).The POD is located at 941 North Capitol Street, NE 2nd floor.
The permit application submission must include the following:
- A completed building permit application.
- A site plan that clearly identifies the specific location(s) of the hydrant(s) and property lines.
- A copy of the agreement recorded with the District of Columbia Recorder of Deeds that establishes the person or entity responsible for the maintenance, repair, and replacement of the private fire hydrant in perpetuity.
- Piping isometrics, plans and elevation details
- Design notes and specifications to include applicable codes, water flow and pressure at fire hydrant valve; piping material, schedule, corrosion controls and other installation details.