Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs

DC Agency Top Menu

The DC Business Center will be down from 10pm Friday, October 18 to 6pm Saturday, October 19th for scheduled maintenance. During this time you can still track business licenses and review account information by visiting the My DC Business Center.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Professional & Occupational Licenses

Does DCRA license professionals?

DCRA's Occupational & Professional Licensing Administration is responsible for licensing a host of business and professional licenses. For example, Certified Public Accountants and CPA firms are licensed through OPLA as well as Architects, Real Estate Agents, Master Electricians, Plumbers, even Asbestos Workers. But, DCRA does not license all professionals. Many are licensed through the:

  • Department of Health
  • Department of Mental Health
  • Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking
  • Metropolitan Police Department (for Security Officers)

I am a doctor (nurse, plumber, social worker, attorney or other professional). I hold a professional license. Am I required to obtain a Basic Business License?

No. You are licensed through the Department of Health Professional Licensing Administration.

Does DCRA issue a license for security businesses, private investigators, detectives or armed guards? Does a private investigation firm also have to have a DCRA Basic Business License?

Yes. Security Agencies and firms must receive a license from DCRA, but applicants must first go to MPD for a professional license. Private detectives, investigators and armed security guards only receive licenses from MPD.

My firm is licensed through the Occupational & Professional License Administration, do I also need to register for a Basic Business License?

No. The firm does not need a Basic Business License.

I'm licensed through the Department of Health, do I also need to be licensed by DCRA?

No. The Department of Health has responsibility for licensing all medical professionals, healthcare professionals and healthcare facilities.

Does a law firm require a license?