In DC, Landlords Must Provide the Following:
- Interconnected smoke alarms on every level and inside each sleeping area At least one, working fire extinguisher
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Exits, including doors and windows, that can be opened from the inside without the need for keys or any special knowledge or effort
- Electrical outlets, switches, and fixtures that work properly
- For high rise buildings, a fire safety evacuation plan, along with fire drills at least once every year
- At least one exterior emergency escape for every sleeping room below the 4th floor
If your landlord is not providing any of these items, please contact the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) immediately at (202) 442-9557 or dial 311. Tips can be shared anonymously.
* DCRA inspections for Certificates of Occupancy and Basic Business Licenses for rental properties confirm the existence of these required safety items.
Documents & Information: