Construction is not permitted on federal and District Government holidays. On the following holidays, all construction work, for which a permit is required, is illegal and could result in a Stop Work Order and may be subject to fines. For more information, visit our illegal construction webpage. Please report illegal construction to the District’s 311 system. You can report your service request by either calling 311, visiting the 311.dc.gov, using the mobile app (DC311), using the online live chat feature during standard business hours, texting DC311, or tweeting to @311dcgov.
DCRA is also closed on these holidays. Customers are encouraged to plan ahead for services requiring an in-person visit as we may experience a high volume of customers during the business days before and after a holiday closing. DCRA offers many online services, tools and resources, enabling customers to skip the trip to our offices and conduct business 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
Construction is prohibited on these dates:
- Wednesday, December 25, 2019: Christmas Day
- Wednesday, January 1, 2020: New Year's Day
- Monday, January 20, 2020: Martin Luther King, Jr's Birthday
- Monday, February 17, 2020: Presidents Day
- Thursday, April 16, 2020: DC Emancipation Day
- Monday, May 25, 2020: Memorial Day
- Friday, July 3, 2020: In observation of Independence Day DCRA will be closed but construction activity is still allowed.
- Saturday, July 4, 2020: Independence Day
- Monday, September 7, 2020: Labor Day
- Monday, October 12, 2020: Indigenous Peoples' Day
- Wednesday, November 11, 2020: Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 26, 2020: Thanksgiving Day
- Friday, December 25, 2020: Christmas Day
In Case of an Emergency
If a critical issue comes up during non-business hours, such as building issues posing a risk to the public, please contact Homeland Security at (202) 727-6161 to reach a DCRA Duty Officer. These building issues include:
- Fire-structural or habitability assessment
- Structural collapse risk to public/other structures (i.e. vehicles impacting buildings)
- Weather damage
- Building habitability
- Inspection for re-connection of utilities