A Not-for-Profit Corporation is a special type of corporation where there are no owners. A Not-for-Profit gives no income (except salaries/ expenses) to members, directors, or officers. This corporation provides for personal liability protection. Management and control is vested in board of directors and/or voting members. It requires more paperwork and research before setting it up. Tax benefits include possible tax exemption from IRS (under specific guidelines).
To register domestic nonprofit corporation in the District, customer shall deliver articles of incorporation form DNP-1 to the Superintendent for filing either by web or by mail / walk-in.
NOTE: Walk-in Customers will be charged expedited fee for one day service in the amount of $100 in addition to regular filing fees.
Go to CorpOnline, create a profile, access the online services main page (use Internet Explorer 8, Chrome, Firefox or Safari) and proceed. Online filers must pay by credit card. Once filing is submitted, print the last confirmation page for your records.
Every domestic and foreign corporation, Limited Liability Company, Limited Liability Partnership, Limited Partnership (effective 01/12), General and Limited Cooperative Association, Business Trust (effective 01/12) is required to file two-year reports with Corporations Division to maintain good standing within the District of Columbia.
- First reports are due April 1 of the very next year from the year of registration.
- Foreign entities might be liable for back reports if commenced business prior to registration.
- Subsequent reports are due April 1 every two years thereafter.
Looking for documents for the following services for your business:
- Create Your Business in DC
- Changes to Your Business in DC
- Reinstate Your Business in DC
- Ongoing Obligations in DC
- Close Your Business in DC