Menu Button

Certificate of Occupancy

Permit Description

A certificate of occupancy is needed to occupy any structure other than a single family dwelling. To include the following uses: two family flat, apartment house and all commercial uses. (Accessory dwellings do not require a Certificate of Occupancy but a building permit is required)

Submission Requirements

Please view the requirements for a Certificate of Occupancy here.

Application Process

Please apply online for a Change of Ownership Certificate of Occupancy. Please email your Certificate of Occupancy Application and supporting documents to coapp@dc.gov.


Apply for a Permit


Contact TTY: