Menu Button

Consumer Protection


In these tough economic times, we know that every dollar you spend is precious. The Government of the District of Columbia wants to be sure you are getting exactly what you pay for. Here residents and visitors of the District can get consumer protection information, research businesses, file a complaint, as well as find links to other helpful offices and information.

File a Complaint about a Business

Have a complaint about a business? Didn’t get what you paid for? We want to hear from you. DCRA can open investigations where losses total $250 or more, or there is a pattern or practice of abuse.  Be sure to file your complaint within three years of the incident.


Report An Unlicensed Rental

Let us know if you believe that a residential rental property is operating without the proper license.


File or Track a Complaint with Professional Licensing

Whether buying a home or hiring a home improvement contractor, it is important to help ensure consumers work with licensed professionals, to prevent fraud or poor workmanship. Please remember, a contractor having a professional license does not guarantee that the contractor will be punctual, courteous or industrious. Do your research when choosing a licensed professional. Request references and check their online reviews.


File a Complaint with Weights & Measures

Ensure that the scales are accurate when weighing foods in your local grocery store, etc.  Learn how you can protect yourself as a Consumer in the District of Columbia.



File a Zoning Complaint

The Office of the Zoning Administrator (OZA) enforces the provisions of the D.C. Zoning Ordinances (“zoning regulations”). If you have a complaint please Submit a Zoning Complaint Online .  If you have any questions please contact OZA at (202) 442-4576.



Submit a Complaint for Trash Truck Noise

Trash collection by private haulers is prohibited between the hours of 9 pm and 7 am in residential, special purpose, or waterfront zones, or within 300 feet of any of these zones.



Verify a Basic Business License

Check if a business entity has active license(s). You can search by License Number, address, name or the entire category list by clicking on the tabs below.

verify business license.png


People walking in Georgetown
Contact TTY: