The District of Columbia Board of Barber and Cosmetology regulates the practice of barbers, body artists, and cosmetologists, including specialty cosmetology practices such as braiding, electrolysis, esthetics, manicuring and others as the Mayor may from time to time establish by rule, instructors and managers of these practices, and owners of such facilities. The Board works diligently to raise the standards of practice, ensure quality service, establish accepted codes of ethical behavior, and protect the health, safety and welfare of the citizens and visitors of the District of Columbia by upholding the city’s Barber and Cosmetology license law, which took effect on May 2001.
The Board of Barber and Cosmetology consists of 14 members, appointed by the Mayor: three barbers; three cosmetologists, three specialty cosmetologists; three body artists; and two consumer members. Eight members constitute a quorum.
The Board meets on the first Monday of each month at 10:00 a.m. at the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs located at 1100 4th Street, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024.
Board meeting minutes are available at www.open-dc.gov.
Barbers, learn how to renew your license before September 30, 2019 by clicking here.
- January 6
- February 3
- March 2
- April 6
- May 4
- June 1
- July (Recess)
- August 3
- September 14
- October (Recess)
- November 2
- December 7
Schedule an Examination
Exams may be scheduled online by clicking here or by phone:
- Dial (800) 733-9267
- Select Option 1 for government and state exams
- Select Option 2 for District of Columbia exams
Board Members & Board Staff
- Anwar S. Saleem, PhD – Chair, Cosmetologist
- Raymond L. Kibler, PhD – Barber
- Jared Scott – Barber
- Mark C. Wills – Barber
- Isaac Colon – Body Artist
- Eric Doyle – Body Artist
- Richard A. DeCarlo, PhD – Cosmetologist
- Erwin Gomez – Cosmetologist
- Vonetta Dumas – Cosmetologist Specialty, Braider
- Kandace Murray – Cosmetologist Specialty, Esthetics/Electrologist
- Sharon A. Young – Cosmetologist Specialty, Manicurist
- Vacant – Body Artist
- Mabel Carter – Consumer Member
- Nanta Wilson – Consumer Member
To apply for a vacancy, please visit the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments for more information and an application.
- Andrew L. Jackson III – Board Administrator
- Kevin Cyrus – Education Coordinator
- Nicole McClendon - Program Coordinator
- Chanda Kearney - Program Support Specialist