Effective June 29, 2019, the following are required for all building permit applications at the specified time noted below:
At application submission:
- Documentation supporting the estimated construction value
Before permit issuance:
- Contractor, subcontractor and registered design professional information In addition, the following changes will be made to the permit application system in the June 2019 release:
- Editing capability for contractor, subcontractor and registered design professional information before and after application submission
- Automatically populated information that includes building age
- Elimination of redundant information in the “Green Building” section
- Statistical data gathering for Opportunity Zone financing and Affordable Housing Projects
Elimination of the requirement to submit a brand new application for permit revisions. Click here for more information and frequently asked questions.
Whether you're modifying a structure, putting up a fence, or building a house, you're responsible for getting the right permits before you start work. When applying for a permit – depending on the scale of the project – the process can be completed in a single step or may involve multiple steps, including additional review agencies outside of DCRA.
The Permit Center closes at 4:30 pm daily. The customers can obtain a Q-Matic Ticket to begin the permitting process until 3:30 pm. Every effort shall be made that all tickets are processed the same day. If not, the process will be completed the following business day. The cashier closes promptly at 4:30.
Some permits, like our Postcard Permit or Supplemental Permits, you can get with a few clicks of the mouse. Larger projects can take a minimum of 30 days to review.
If you're a homeowner seeking a building permit for a home improvement project, please visit our Homeowner's Center or get a Postcard Permit Online. If you're in charge of a large construction project, check out our Development Ambassador program and our Green Building process.
If you're ready to get started you have the ability to apply, pay and receive permits online at the Citizen Access Portal.