SOLAR PERMITTING Process Changes
DCRA has instituted two process changes involving zoning and neighbor notifications that are reducing the time it takes to permit solar systems in the District. See the notification below for details of the original roll-out. The form is provided to apply for zoning self-certification, which is strongly encouraged for all systems less than 4' above the roof or parapet wall:
Solar Permitting & Inspections
For guidance on DCRA solar permitting and inspections, including solar permitting fees, download the following guidelines.
- Solar Marking/Signage Example
- Distributing Solar System Snow Loads by Alternating Standoff Placement
- Structural Considerations for Solar PV on Older Rowhomes (Winston, 2015)
- DOEE Solar Initiatives - Programs and information to support solar in DC.
- District of Columbia Solar Map - Estimate any property’s rooftop solar potential, costs, and environmental benefits
- Planning for Home Renewable Energy Systems
- PV WATTS Calculator - Estimate Your PV System's Electrical Output
- How Solar Water Heating Systems Work
- Federal Tax Credits Available for Solar and Energy Efficiency Projects (The District of Columbia does not offer tax incentives at this time.)
- How Solar Electric Systems Work
- Pepco - Green Power Connection