Limited Partnership (LP) is a special partnership type with limited legal liabilities. General partners are personally liable. Limited partners are liable for their business investment. Management and control is exercised through general partners. Limited partners do not have any formal control. LPs are easy to set up and maintain. LP partners are taxed on profits personally, on ownership percentages and can claim on personal taxes
“Limited partnership”, except in the phrases “foreign limited partnership” and “foreign limited liability limited partnership”, or “domestic limited partnership”, means an entity, having one or more general partners and one or more limited partners, which is formed under Title 29 Chapter 7 by 2 or more persons or becomes subject to this chapter under subchapter X of this chapter, Chapter 2 of this title, or § 29-711.01(a) or (b). The term includes a limited liability limited partnership.
To register domestic limited partnership in the District, customer shall deliver statement of qualification form DLP-1 to the Superintendent for filing either by web or by mail / walk-in.
NOTE: Walk-in Customers will be charged expedited fee for one day service in the amount of $100 in addition to regular filing fees.
Go to CorpOnline, create a profile, access the online services main page (use Internet Explorer 8, Chrome, Firefox or Safari) and proceed. Online filers must pay by credit card. Once filing is submitted, print the last confirmation page for your records.
Every domestic and foreign corporation, Limited Liability Company, Limited Liability Partnership, Limited Partnership (effective 01/12), General and Limited Cooperative Association, Business Trust (effective 01/12) is required to file two-year reports with Corporations Division to maintain good standing within the District of Columbia.
- First reports are due April 1st of the very next year from the year of registration.
- Foreign entities might be liable for back reports if commenced business prior to registration.
- Subsequent reports are due April 1st every two years thereafter.
Create Your Business in DC
- Certificate of Limited Partnership for Domestic Limited Partnership DLP-1
- Name Reservation Registration & Transfer Form GN-3
- Trade Name Registration Form
Changes to Your Business in DC
- Certificate of Amendment for Domestic Limited Partnership DLP-2
- Restated Certificate of Limited Partnership for Domestic Limited Partnership DLP-3
- Withdrawal of Filed Record Before Effectiveness Form GN-1
- Statement of Correction Form GN-2
- Statement or Plan of Merger of Domestic Filing Entity GN-7
- Statement of Abandonment of A Plan of Merger of Domestic Filing Entity GN-8
- Statement or Plan of Interest Exchange of Domestic Filing Entity GN-9
- Statement of Abandonment of A Plan of Interest Exchange of Domestic Filing Entity GN-10
- Statement or Plan of Conversion of Domestic & Foreign Filing Entity GN-11
- Statement of Abandonment of A Plan of Conversion of Domestic & Foreign Filing Entity GN-12
- Statement or Plan of Domestication of Domestic & Foreign Filing Entity GN-13
- Statement of Abandonment of A Plan of Domestication of Domestic & Foreign Filing Entity GN-14