Menu Button

Get A Permit

Permit process - application, plan review, permit issuance

Steps of Permit Process


What Projects Require a Permit?

  • New buildings, additions and structures
  • Interior alterations (including finished basements) 
  • Porches and decks (including alterations to existing)
  • Changes of occupancy or use 
  • Layout of interior space new or existing commercial buildings (e.g. changing the floor plan of a building from six one-bedroom apartments to three two-bedroom apartments)
  • Construction of retaining walls, fences, sheds, garages, or vault construction
  • Erection of signs or awnings
  • New and replacement gas appliances
  • New and replacement HVAC equipment
  • New plumbing fixtures
  • New electric appliances
  • Sheds and playhouses over 50 square feet
  • Swimming pools except those meeting all of the following:
  • 1,000 gallons capacity or less
  • 24 inches deep or less
  • Above ground
  • R-3 building
  • Retaining walls over 4 feet from bottom of footing to top of wall, with less than 50 sq ft of land disturbance
  • Demolition and razing of buildings and structures
  • Sump pumps
  • Tents over 900 square feet
  • Electric car charging equipment

Unless you are in a historic district, the following work does not require a building permit:

  • Brick pointing
  • Caulking, patching and plaster repair of non-rated assemblies
  • Installation of window screens and storm windows
  • Repair in kind of existing fences
  • Painting other than fire-retardant paint
  • Papering, tiling, carpeting, floor covering, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work
  • Replacement in kind of one of the items listed hereafter. For the purpose of this section, “replacement in kind,” means replacement with a feature of like material that replicates the existing feature in proportion, appearance, texture, design, detail and dimensions
    • Roofing and coping
    • Siding
    • Gutters and downspouts and fascia
    • Private sidewalks and driveways
    • Patios
    • Nonrated suspended ceiling tile
    • Not more than 160 square feet (14.9 m2) of gypsum board excluding installation of firerated gypsum wall board or shaft liner
  • A single garden storage shed that does not exceed 50 square feet (4.65 m2) in area, is less than 10 feet (3048 mm) in overall height, is an accessory structure to a building of Use Group R-3 or to a building under the jurisdiction of the Residential Code and is erected on a lot with no other exempted storage shed
  • Prefabricated pools, accessory to a Use Group R-3 occupancy, or accessory to buildings under the jurisdiction of the Residential Code, which are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep, do not exceed 1,000 gallons (3785.41 L), are installed entirely above ground and are not designed or manufactured to be connected to a circulation system
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height, measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, for one and two family dwellings only where the area of land disturbance is less than 50 square feet (4.65 m2)
  • Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to one- and two-family dwellings
  • Movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1753 mm) in height

Your project may require additional permits such as Supplemental Systems Installation (A/C, electric, plumbing, etc.) and Water or Sewer Excavation (pipe installation, water main connections, etc.) *Note: Only licensed DC contractors for the specific trade may apply for these permits.

A public space permit is required to use or install structures on public space—the area between the building or property line and the curb. Many front yards in the District are considered public space. Examples of work that requires public space permits include the following:

  • Dumpsters in public space
  • Sidewalk construction and repair
  • Sidewalk cafes
  • Front patios
  • Flag poles, planter boxes, retaining walls and fences in public space

The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) manages and oversees the use and occupancy of public space. Learn more about public space permits at DDOT's website.

Any issued permit will become invalid if the authorized work is not begun within one year after the permit is issued, or if the authorized work is suspended or abandoned for a period of one year, after the date work is begun.


Resources and Information


Contact TTY: