What We Do
DCRA's Corporations Division serves as the Office of Corporate Registrar for the District of Columbia. The Corporations Division registers all entities, domestic (DC) or foreign (organizations formed outside of DC) that conduct business in the District of Columbia. This is the first step in business regulatory compliance. This registration is separate and must be done before an entity applies for a business license, permit, tax registration, or any other registration within the District.
To operate in the District of Columbia as a nonprofit and for-profit corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, general cooperative association, limited cooperative association and statutory trust, you must register via CorpOnline with Superintendent of Corporations of Corporations Division of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs.
In addition to Corporate Registration, if you plan to operate in the District using trade name (or DBA “doing business as”), the trade name must also be registered with Superintendent of Corporations of Corporations Division of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. This trade name registration is required for all registered (LLCs, corporations, etc.) and unregistered (sole proprietorship, general partnership, unincorporated nonprofit association, etc.) organization types that use the trade name.
Superintendent of Corporations of Corporations Division of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs also acts as the Mayor’s Agent for Service of Process for businesses that are defunct, or fail to maintain an agent in the District or are operating in the District.
List of Entities
The following is the list of entities by type that are subject to mandatory registration: (for more information, please, click on each entity type)
- Limited Liability Companies including Professional Limited Liability Companies
- Business Corporations including Professional Corporations and Benefits Corporations
- Nonprofit Corporations
- Limited Partnerships including Limited Liability Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Partnerships
- General Cooperative Associations
- Limited Cooperative Associations
- Statutory Trusts
- Choose a Corporate Structure
- "CorpOnline" (Online Filing)
- Corporations Biennial Report Forgiveness/Reinstatement Amnesty Program
- Fees for Corporate Registration
- Corporations Refund Request Application
- Service of Process
- Trade Name Registration
- Domestic LLC and General Business License Application (NEW!)
Looking for a Corporation document. Find a listing of all Corporation documents here: